Mandate & Core Functions
The Agency mandate is derived from the Kenya Trade Remedies Act No. 32 of 2017, the Executive Order No. 1 of 2020, the WTO Agreements on Subsidies and Countervailing Measures (ASCM) Safeguards and Anti-dumping Agreement. The Agency mandate is three-fold.
- Implement Trade Remedies in Kenya in line with the World Trade Organization (WTO) Law on application of Trade Defense Instruments.
- Domesticate the WTO Agreements on Anti- Dumping, Subsidies and Countervailing Measures and Safeguards so as to protect domestic industry from unfair import Trade practices which cause material injury or retardation to the domestic industry.
- Support Kenya's development agenda in attaining Vision 2030 and advancing the BIG4 Agenda on Manufacturing and Food Security pillars.
- investigate and evaluate allegations of dumping and subsidization of imported products into Kenya;
- investigate and evaluate requests for application of safeguard measures on any product imported into Kenya;
- advise the Cabinet Secretary on the results and recommendations of its investigations;
- initiate and conduct public awareness and the training of stakeholders on its functions and on trade remedies;
- publish and disseminate manuals, codes, guidelines, and decisions relating to its functions;